- Colision Theory
- Collision theory states that
chemical reactions start when atoms or molecules hit each other under specific
angle and speed.
- This tutorial is based on http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/basicrates/introduction.html.
- Collision theory will be
explained on collision between molecules ethene CH2=CH2
and hydrogen cloride HCl.
- This reaction is represented
with following formula:
+ HCl ® CH3CH2Cl
- Reaction can only happen if
the hydrogen end of the H-Cl bond approaches the carbon-carbon double bond.
- Any other collision between
the two molecules doesn't work and molecules simply bounce off each other.
- This is ilustrated in
- Even if the molecules are
orientated properly, no reaction will occure unless the particles collide with
energy, called the activation energy of the reaction.