· GENETICS – Processes – DNA Replication
- This tutorial explains how DNA replication is achieved.
- Enzyme DNA Gyrase makes a cut in the double helix and each side
- Enzyme Helicase unwinds the double-stranded DNA.
- Several SSB - Single Strand Binding Proteins temporarily bind to each
side and keep them separated.
- Enzyme complex DNA Polymerase "walks" down the DNA strands
and adds new nucleotides to each strand.
- A subunit of the DNA Polymerase proofreads the new DNA.
- Enzyme DNA Ligase seals up the fragments into one long continuous
- The new copies automatically wind up again.