· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Cysteine
- Cysteine chemical formula is C3H7NO2S.
- Cysteine is non-essential amino acid which means that humans can
- Cysteine 'R' group is -CH2SH, a methyl group with a thiol group (-SH)
attached - yellow and white.
- Cysteine found in beta-keratin, the main protein in nails, skin and
Cysteine is important in collagen production and assists in skin
elasticity and texture.
Cysteine is useful to detoxify the body from harmful toxins and help
protect the brain and liver from damage from alcohol, drugs etc.
Cysteine may help in strengthening the protective lining of the stomach
as well as intestines, which may help prevent
damage caused by aspirin and similar drugs.
- Cysteine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/cysjdisplayhalos.html.
- Cysteine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-cysteine-3D-balls.png.