· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Histidine
- Histidine chemical formula is C6H9N3O2.
- Histidine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Histidine 'R' group has a ring containing 2 nitrogen atoms at the other
end of the molecule.
- Histidine participates in creation of histamine, a compound released by
immune system cells during an allergic reaction.
Histidine is needed for growth and repair of tissue, and maintenance of
myelin sheaths that protector nerve cells.
Histidine is required for manufacture of both red and white blood
Histidine helps protect the body from damage caused by radiation and in
removing heavy metals from the body.
- Histidine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/hisjdisplayhalos.html.
- Histidine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-histidine-3D-sticks.png.