· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Isoleucine
- Isoleucine chemical formula is C6H13NO2.
- Isoleucine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Isoleucine 'R' group is an iso butyl group (-C4H9): -CHCH3-CH2CH3.
- Isoleucine, as branched-chain-amino-acid, is needed for muscle
metabolism, repair and growth of tissue and can be
used as an energy source in the muscles, preserving the use of glucose.
Isoleucine is needed for the formation of hemoglobin, assisting with
regulation of blood sugar levels and energy levels
Isoleucine is involved in blood-clot formation.
- Isoleucine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/ilejdisplayhalos.html.
- Isoleucine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-isoleucine-3D-balls.png.