· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Leucine
- Leucine chemical formula is C6H13NO2.
- Leucine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Leucine 'R' group is a butyl group (-C4H9) : -CH2CH(CH3)2
making leucine 3 stages up from Alanine.
- Leucine, as branched-chain-amino-acid, is needed for muscle metabolism,
repair and growth of tissue and can be used
as an energy source in the muscles, preserving the use of glucose.
- Leucine is an important component of hemoglobin.
- Leucine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/leujdisplayhalos.html.
3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-leucine-3D-balls.png.