· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Lysine
- Lysine chemical formula is C6H14N2O2.
- Lysine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't synthesise
- Lysine 'R' group is -(CH2)4-NH2, a butyl group with another amino group
- Lysine is required for growth and bone development in children, assists
in calcium absorption and maintaining the
correct nitrogen balance in the body and maintaining lean body mass.
Lysine is needed to produce antibodies, hormones, enzymes, collagen
formation as well as repair of tissue.
Lysine helps building muscle protein, helps maintain healthy blood
vessels and assist in fighting herpes and cold sores
- Lysine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/lysjdisplayhalos.html.
- Lysine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-threonine-3D-sticks.png.