· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Methionine
- Methionine chemical formula is C5H11O2S.
- Methionine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Methionine 'R' group is -CH2-CH2-S-CH3.
- Methionine is needed by the body to manufacture creatine monohydrate, a
compound essential for energy production and muscle building.
Methionine assists in the breakdown of fats and thereby prevents the
build-up of fat in the arteries.
Methionine assists with the digestive system.
Methionine assists with removing heavy metals from the body since it
can be converted to cysteine, which is a
precursor to gluthione, which is of prime importance in detoxifying the
- Methionine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/metjdisplayhalos.html.
- Methionine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-methionine-B-3D-balls.png.