· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Phenylalanine
- Phenylalanine chemical formula is C9H11NO2.
- Phenylalanine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Phenylalanine 'R' group is a methyl group with a benzene ring attached.
- Phenylalanine can be converted in the body to tyrosine, which in turn
is used to synthesize two important
neurotransmitters - dopamine and norepinephrine.
Phenylalanine is closely involved with the nervous system
Phenylalanine is therfore used in elevating the mood and helping with
memory and learning.
Phenylalanine is used as an appetite suppressant.
- Phenylalanine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/phejdisplayhalos.html.
- Phenylalanine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-phenylalanine-3D-balls.png.