· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Serine
- Serine chemical formula is C3H7NO3.
- Serine is non-essential amino acid which means that humans can
- Serine 'R' group is (-CH2OH).
- Serine is required for the metabolism of fat, tissue growth and the
Serine is constituent of brain proteins and nerve coverings and is also
important in the formation of cell membranes.
- Serine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/serinejdisplayhalos.html.
- Serine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-serine-3D-sticks.png.