· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Threonine
- Threonine chemical formula is C4H9NO3.
- Threonine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Threonine 'R' group is -CHOH-CH3.
- Threonine is found in high concentrations in the heart, skeletal
muscles and central nervous system.
Threonine maintains proper protein balance in the body, assist in the
formation of collagen and elastin in the skin.
Threonine is involved in liver functioning and in assisting the immune
system by helping the production of antibodies
- Threonine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/threoninejdisplayhalos.html.
- Threonine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-threonine-3D-sticks.png.