· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Tryptophan
- Tryptophan chemical formula is C11H12N2O2.
- Tryptophan is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Tryptophan 'R' group is a methyl group attached to a benzene ring
carrying an -OH group.
- Tryptophan needed to maintain optimum health.
Tryptophan is required for the production of niacin (vitamin B3).
Tryptophan is used to produce serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is
important for normal nerve and brain function. Serotonin is
important in sleep, stabilizing emotional moods, pain control, inflammation,
intestinal peristalsis, etc.
Tryptophan is important in controlling hyperactivity in children,
assists in reducing stress, helps with weight loss and reducing appetite.
- Tryptophan interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/tryjdisplayhalos.html.
- Tryptophan 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-tryptophan-3D-balls.png.