· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Tyrosine
- Tyrosine chemical formula is C9H11NO3.
- Tyrosine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't
- Tyrosine 'R' group is a methyl group attached to a benzene ring
carrying an -OH group.
- Tyrosine is important for brain functions since it is involved in
process of creating dopamine and norepinephrine.
Tyrosine is helpful in suppressing the appetite and reducing body fat,
production of skin and hair pigment, the proper
functioning of the thyroid as well as the pituitary and adrenal gland.
Tyrosine is used for stress reduction and may be beneficial in
narcolepsy, fatigue, anxiety, depression, allergies,
headaches as well as drug withdrawal.
- Tyrosine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/tyrjdisplayhalos.html.
- Tyrosine 3D model was taken from http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:L-tyrosine-3D-sticks.png.