· GENETICS – Terms – Amino Acid – Valine
- Valine chemical formula is C5H11NO2.
- Valine is essential amino acid which means that humans can't synthesise
- Valine 'R' group is a propyl group (-C3H7) -CH(CH3)2 making valine 2
stages up from Alanine.
- Valine, as branched-chain-amino-acid, is needed for muscle metabolism,
repair and growth of tissue and can be used as
an energy source in the muscles, preserving the use of glucose.
Valine maintains the nitrogen balance in the body.
- Valine interactive 3D model can be found at http://www.biotopics.co.uk/JmolApplet/valjdisplayhalos.html.
- Valine 3D
model was taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:L-alanine-3D-balls.png.